Are sleeping pills safe and effective?

Sleeping pills are effective at inducing sleep but come with many risks. Sleep is made up of different phases, including rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, which is responsible for psychological well-being, such as feeling well rested. Sleeping pills, however, only increase stages of sleep that do not serve this function. As a result, they may help in the short term if lack of sleep is severe, but once that severe sleep deprivation is overcome, they don't provide a significant benefit in terms of achieving rest. In face of the risks of residual daytime sedation, drowsiness, dizziness, lightheadedness, cognitive impairment, motor incoordination, or even dependence, one could say that sleeping pills are not worth these risks compared to the benefits.

Continue Learning about Sleep Aid

How Many Hours Should I Allow for Sleep After I Take a Sleep Aid?
Are Sleep Drinks an Effective Way to Help Me Fall and Stay Asleep?
What Should I Know About Over-The-Counter Sleep Aids?
How Do Magnolia Bark Supplements Work to Help Me Fall Asleep?