Can I recover my skin elasticity after losing weight?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
After massive weight loss, there may be limited skin tightening. In general, some of the skin will tighten depending on age, elastin quantity, collagen in the skin. Many patients are not able to establish full tightening of the skin and require surgical excision (mastopexy, tummy tuck). Wearing compressive garments may greatly help to increase skin tightening and reduce edema after the surgery. 
Your skin elasticity will recover to a certain degree, which will vary by individual, amount of weight loss and age. However, some patients require plastic surgery to remove excess skin if it is interfering with mobility or leading to infection. For other patients, this is done as a cosmetic procedure to improve their self-image.

The impact that weight loss has on your skin elasticity depends on the amount of weight you lose and how quickly you lose it. Losing a large amount of weight quickly typically doesn't give your body time to acclimate to the change. It's better to lose weight gradually and incorporate exercise to tighten and tone your body along the way.

Continue Learning about Skin Tightening Treatments

Do body wraps work to get rid of saggy skin?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Body wraps feel great and add water to the skin which has a temporary effect of making the skin feel...
Can I get a facelift without surgery?
The natural lift is a way to have a face lift in less than an hour -- without invasive surgery. ...
Will I have loose skin if I lose a lot of weight?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
After massive weight loss, loose skin can appear all over the body, under the arms, on the outsi...
Can I Get a Facelift Without Surgery?
Can I Get a Facelift Without Surgery?