What is radiofrequency skin treatment?

In radiofrequency (Thermage), radiofrequency energy heats collagen in skin to stimulate production.

What it's best for: Lines, wrinkles, and sagging skin.

Average cost: $2,500-$5,000 per treatment.

Number of treatments: One to three treatments every four to six weeks.

Risks and recovery time:
  • Redness, soreness, tingling, and swelling may persist for days to weeks following treatment.
  • Some risk of burns, blistering, and soreness along the jawline; can be scarring.
Inside scoop:
  • Topical anesthetic may not ease discomfort.
  • Improvement is mild and unpredictable.
  • Tightening may not be noticeable for six months.

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
This technology involves targeting the energy which is from a radiofrequency source rather than a light source to heat up the deeper layers of the skin. The idea is that you see nothing from the surface, but as the deeper layers of the skin recover there is collagen tightening and renewal with essentially a gentle face lift without surgery. As the technique evolves the energy is being better defined to target more superficial or deeper layers to minimize the risk of damage or injury to muscles, fat, nerves and glands that sit under the treated areas.

Continue Learning about Skin Tightening Treatments

How can I get rid of turkey neck with cosmetic treatments?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Most telltale turkey necks are past the point of creams. That’s where injectable treatments like Bot...
Can I recover my skin elasticity after losing weight?
Your skin elasticity will recover to a certain degree, which will vary by individual, amount of weig...
What is noninvasive skin tightening?
Noninvasive skin tightening uses radiofrequency technology or pulsed light to treat wrinkles and sag...
Can I Get a Facelift Without Surgery?
Can I Get a Facelift Without Surgery?