Will I have loose skin if I lose a lot of weight?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
After massive weight loss, loose skin can appear all over the body, under the arms, on the outside of the breasts, and under the armpits, not to mention that the breasts will probably sag significantly. Many patients complain that the skin on their abdominal area becomes very loose, with massive amounts hanging down toward their thighs and interfering with exercise.

They may also experience loose skin around their thighs, both on the inner and outer thighs.
The Beverly Hills Shape: The Truth About Plastic Surgery

Dr. Stuart Linder, Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery, specializes in body sculpting procedures in the heart of Beverly Hills, California. Dr. Linder has trained in both general...
When you lose a lot weight there is that possiblity of having lose skin.  Unfortunately your skin can't shrink back to its normal size so quickly when you lose so much.  You are better to lose the weight slowly to allow your body to adapt to the changes so you don't have so much loose skin.  Unfortunately, losing so much weight so quickly loose skin is a side effect.

That depends on several factors.

1. How much weight is a lot?
  2. Genetics.
  3. The time it took to lose the weight.

You are NOT doomed to lose skin. I lost over 100 pounds and was able to keep my skin intact, no surgery needed. The things to focus on are:

• Set realistic weight loss goals, 1-2 pounds per week.
  • Watch your hydration, aim for 3 liters of water a day minimum
  • Eat lean to get lean. Focus on the nutritional content of food and don't fall for FAD diets. Aim for balance in your diet.
  • Add strength training. Training with resistance in the form of weights, bands or even body weight can increase collagen in the skin and help it draw back to the muscle.
  • Experiment with different forms of fitness. Heavy weights are great, but try lighter weights with a variety of angles that cannot be achieved safely through heavy weights. If you're a runner, try some kickboxing every once in a while. Switch it up to keep the skin coming back :)
  • Steer clear of sugar! Sugar is the #1 substance I have noticed that causes the skin to sag more. It really offers zero nutritionally, so opt for natural sweetness and forego the fake stuff too.

For more visit: www.michellecfitness.com

Continue Learning about Skin Tightening Treatments

Do body wraps work to get rid of saggy skin?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Body wraps feel great and add water to the skin which has a temporary effect of making the skin feel...
Can I get a facelift without surgery?
The natural lift is a way to have a face lift in less than an hour -- without invasive surgery. ...
How can I tighten up loose skin after losing weight?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
If you have lost a significant amount of weight and have excess skin you may consider a visit to you...
Can I Get a Facelift Without Surgery?
Can I Get a Facelift Without Surgery?