What does a typical facial involve?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Aestheticians in salons and spas usually perform facials. They are less commonly provided by aestheticians in a doctor’s office. There are a variety in terms of different types of procedures offered and expertise on the part of the facialist. A typical facial takes about 30 to 45 minutes and consists of a series of steps starting with cleansing the skin, massage, heat wraps, extraction of blackheads, and application of creams.

There are now a variety of different types of facials, from oxygen facials to vitamin C facials to “gold” facials and much more. These can be very relaxing and soothing to the skin, and some people find them to be therapeutic.

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

Continue Learning about Skin Rejuvenation Treatments

What concerns should I consider before having a facial?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
A few areas exist where I am concerned about potential problems with facials. One concern is any sen...
What are some non-invasive options for facial rejuvenation?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
There are many noninvasive options for facial rejuvenation. The most important first step is to see ...
What Is a Facial Peel?
What Is a Facial Peel?
What Are Some Non-Invasive Options for Facial Rejuvenation?