Which moisturizer is best for dry skin?

Moisturizers for dry skin come in three preparations: lotions, creams and ointments.

Lotions are least effective at replacing and retaining lost moisture in very dry skin. But they disappear after application very quickly, making them the most convenient to use and possibly helpful for normal and oily skin.

Creams are heavier than lotions and are therefore more effective at sealing in moisture for normal to dry skin.

Ointments, such as Vaseline, are thick and are best for preventing moisture from escaping from the skin, but you may find that they are inconvenient to use regularly.

Healthcare professionals advise women with very dry skin against using soap and alcohol-based astringents (toners), which typically dry out the skin.

Continue Learning about Skin Moisturizing

What should I look for in a daily moisturizer?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Use a daily moisturizer with SPF 30, which contains potent sunscreen ingredients such as avobenzone,...
What should I look for in a facial moisturizer?
Finding a moisturizer is a personal choice; you can shop at your local drug store or splurge at the ...
How Are Moisturizers for Dry Skin Unique?
4 Ways to Soften Winter Skin
4 Ways to Soften Winter Skin