What's an inexpensive moisturizer?

Safflower oil is high in moisturizing linoleic acid. When you get out of the shower today, have some ready to slather on those trouble spots. You can, if you choose, use it on any dry body part, but stay below the neck. It’s my favorite for dry lower legs, where flakiness can be especially persistent. The oil is pressed from the seeds of spiky yellow safflowers; in theory you could use olive oil, too, which is also high in linoleic acid, but you’d smell like a salad. Along with being odorless, safflower oil has the advantages of being colorless and cheap.

If you are not sure about moisturizing with pure cooking oil (and the beauty industry sincerely hopes you aren’t), you can find safflower oil in moisturizers, lip balms, and scrubs. Look for a product that lists it among the first three ingredients, which means it contains a high concentration of the oil. Otherwise, just pour some safflower oil into a pretty little squeeze bottle and add it to your toiletries. No one will ever guess you cook with it, too! And your legs will look amazing.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Skin Moisturizing

What kind of moisturizer should someone with oily skin look for?
People with oily skin need a moisturizer that attracts water to the skin. Look for noncomedogenic pr...
What kind of moisturizer should I use on my face?
Jeanine B. Downie, MDJeanine B. Downie, MD
Everyone’s heard millions of times how important it is to keep the skin on your face moisturized...
4 Ways to Soften Winter Skin
4 Ways to Soften Winter Skin
How Are Moisturizers for Dry Skin Unique?