What type of facial moisturizer should I use for my dry skin?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
The natural oils and lipids that should be in the epidermis are in short supply, so dry skin is desperate for humectants and emollients. It will drink up a rich, heavy-duty moisturizer, such as a lotion or cream that's oil-based (a water-based product evaporates quickly and won't provide enough long-lasting moisture). Look for one that has waxy occlusive emollients such as shea butter, squalene, even lanolin or mineral oil. In your case, you may want to use a heavier moisturizer at bedtime (since you don't need to worry about wearing it under makeup and making your skin appear too greasy). Go for it, slather on as much moisture as you need from your forehead down to your collarbone. (No matter how your skin behaves, we all need to remember to treat our neck like our face. That means cleansing, moisturizing, and, most vital of all, protecting it from the sun with sunscreen daily.)
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Moisturizing

4 Ways to Soften Winter Skin
4 Ways to Soften Winter Skin
How Are Moisturizers for Dry Skin Unique?