Can a mask super-moisturize my face and seal in hydration?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
Yes, but only until it's rinsed off. Truthfully, masks are like ChapStick for your face - an occlusive film over the surface that provides a nice, temporary fix. For someone with sensitive or rosacea skin, a mask packed with anti-inflammatory ingredients (such as aloe vera, allantoin, and chamomile) and humectants will feel wonderful and soothe the skin, but only while it's on the face. Again, it's always important to read the label, especially if your skin is feeling sensitive. Fruit acids or menthol, which are commonly found in masks, could cause irritation.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

Continue Learning about Skin Moisturizing

What type of moisturizer should I use?
Moisturizers have different purposes for different people. You'll need to test several products to f...
Do I really need to use a skin moisturizer?
Typically, your skin soaks up moisture to keep itself young and vital, but you lose the ability to d...
4 Ways to Soften Winter Skin
4 Ways to Soften Winter Skin
How Are Moisturizers for Dry Skin Unique?