Are lotions good for dry skin?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Lotions are in many ways similar to creams but they have more water. This means the vehicle is thinner, and that makes lotions potentially drying for people with very dry skin. I usually recommend that you use a cream during the winter, especially at night when there is increased water loss from the skin, and lotions or lighter formulations of creams during the warmer, more humid summer months.

Continue Learning about Skin Moisturizing

Do moisturizers that absorb faster work better?
A common myth is that moisturizers that are absorbed faster are better for your skin. Moisturizer pe...
What kind of moisturizer should I use on my face?
Jeanine B. Downie, MDJeanine B. Downie, MD
Everyone’s heard millions of times how important it is to keep the skin on your face moisturized...
How Are Moisturizers for Dry Skin Unique?
4 Ways to Soften Winter Skin
4 Ways to Soften Winter Skin