Does taking a long shower help the skin maintain its moisture?

Prolonged exposure to water can strip the skin of moisture. Experts recommend limiting baths or showers to five to 10 minutes. They also advise bathing in lukewarm water (hot water can adversely affect skin). Always remember to moisturize right after a shower or bath, to seal in moisture and prevent its rapid evaporation from skin.

Continue Learning about Skin Moisturizing

Are lotions good for dry skin?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Lotions are in many ways similar to creams but they have more water. This means the vehicle is thinn...
How should I moisturize my feet to keep the skin healthy?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
Many people apply skin lotion to their bodies after a shower and forget their feet. Pay special ...
How Are Moisturizers for Dry Skin Unique?
4 Ways to Soften Winter Skin
4 Ways to Soften Winter Skin