How should I moisturize my face and body?

After your shower, moisturize every inch but do your face first so residues from body lotions, which likely aren’t anti-acnegenic, don’t get on your face and encourage a breakout. I like to use an anti-acne face moisturizer (again, look for the words oil free or noncomedogenic on the label).

In the morning, always use a facial moisturizer with sunscreen—please, at least SPF 30. In the summer, I switch to an SPF 50. I put it on my face, chest, forearms, hands, anything that will be exposed that day, depending on what I’m wearing. If you don’t go through a tube a month, you’re not using enough (the entire face needs about a teaspoonful). You may also choose to apply a cream containing antioxidants if these aren’t already in your moisturizer, so you arm your face before it goes to meet the day’s battle in the environment. One example of a brand that offers a well-founded product with a blend of powerful anti-oxidants and sunscreen is Topix Replenix CF Anti-Photoaging Complex SPF 45.

Remember, choosing the right lotions (moisturizer, sunscreen, antioxidant cream, etc.) is a personal decision. Experiment with different brands to find the formulas and consistencies you like. You may not need a thick, heavy cream, for instance. If your face tends to leak oils (you get that shiny glow after a couple of hours), try a lighter moisturizer. You’ll also find formulas for combination and extra dry skin. Before moving on to richer formulas, just try using a bit more and see if that works.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Skin Moisturizing

Will putting water on my face help moisturize my skin?
No, adding water alone to skin will not help to moisturize it. Water should be applied to the skin w...
Do moisturizers that absorb faster work better?
A common myth is that moisturizers that are absorbed faster are better for your skin. Moisturizer pe...
4 Ways to Soften Winter Skin
4 Ways to Soften Winter Skin
How Are Moisturizers for Dry Skin Unique?