Are expensive moisturizers more effective for dry skin?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

A moisturizer doesn't have to be costly to work. When looking for an affordable moisturizer, consider the most important factor: the ingredients. Ingredients that help the skin hold moisture or seal it in include hyaluronic acid, lactic acid, urea, dimethicone, glycerin, lanolin, mineral oil and petrolatum. The best time to moisturize your skin is immediately after a shower or bath.

An unscented moisturizer or lotion containing lanolin is one of the most effective and also least expensive ways to treat dry skin. Watch the animation to learn more about dry skin.

Continue Learning about Skin Moisturizing

Does taking a long shower help the skin maintain its moisture?
Prolonged exposure to water can strip the skin of moisture. Experts recommend limiting baths or show...
What should I do if my skin is dry and moisturizers don't seem to work?
If your skin is noticeably dry and flaky, you may want to try exfoliating before you apply your mois...
How Are Moisturizers for Dry Skin Unique?
4 Ways to Soften Winter Skin
4 Ways to Soften Winter Skin