What kind of makeup is best to wear while exercising?

Many women would rather die than go to the gym without wearing makeup to keep their blemishes and dark spots covered. So if wearing makeup while exercising is a must for you, follow this expert advice:

YouBeauty Cosmetic Chemistry Expert Ni’Kita Wilson says when shopping for cosmetics that can take the heat of a vigorous workout, “look for the most transfer-resistant makeup possible; it has a better chance of surviving your workout or physically demanding job. Pick a makeup with light coverage. Heavier coverage makeup has more pigment and is more likely to get caught in your pores, causing breakouts.”

Silicone-based foundations are best suited to exercise conditions, according to makeup artist Kevin James Bennett, a cosmetics expert for the International Esthetics Advisory Board of Leslie Baumann, MD, dermatologist and author.

“The cosmetic silicone molecules are too large to penetrate or become lodged in pores and are naturally water resistant,” Bennett told us.

Rae Cosmetics (a line of makeup designed for active women) Founder Rochelle Rae says makeup worn during exercise should be oil-free, allowing the skin to breathe.

“Oil-based cosmetics trap the sweat under the makeup, forcing it [to smear],” Rae says.

Continue Learning about Skin & Makeup/Cosmetics Use

Face the Facts: Risks of Using Cosmetics
Beauty before health—it’s an all-too-common human impulse seen throughout history. The ancient Egyptians used dyes laced with lead, arsenic and other ...
How do I hide my freckles?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Makeup is the easiest and most common way of covering up your freckles. Because freckles often darke...
How can I protect my lips and still wear lip gloss?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
How do you protect your lips? Do you have to throw out all your lip gloss collection? No.  But y...
Are Oxygen Skin Care Products As Effective As Oxygen Facials?