What are some sunless alternatives to getting a tan?

You can add a "healthy glow" to your skin without going out in the sun by using bronzing cosmetics, tinted moisturizers, and sunless tanners. Both bronzers and tinted moisturizers contain pigments that may temporarily darken your skin, but that you can apply and wash off in the same day.

The "tan" you get from a sunless tanner usually lasts longer because most sunless tanners contain an ingredient called dihydroxyacetone, or DHA, that binds to the dead skin cells in the top layer of your skin. The tan "fades" as your skin naturally sheds the dead cells, usually within a week or so. See your dermatologist for advice on the best ways to get a sunless tan.

Continue Learning about Skin & Makeup/Cosmetics Use

Face the Facts: Risks of Using Cosmetics
Beauty before health—it’s an all-too-common human impulse seen throughout history. The ancient Egyptians used dyes laced with lead, arsenic and other ...
What's a cheaper alternative to makeup remover?
Rosemarie Ingleton, MDRosemarie Ingleton, MD
A cheaper alternative to a makeup remover pad is applying baby oil to a cotton ball, or getting a mo...
How can I protect myself against the dangers of cosmetics?
Riverside Women's HealthRiverside Women's Health
Following are some of the ways to protect yourself against the dangers of cosmetics: Never drive...
Are Oxygen Skin Care Products As Effective As Oxygen Facials?