Do sunless tanners work?

Cybele Fishman, MD
Dermatology
Sunless tanners do work, in essence by dying the dead layer of the skin that sits on top; when the dead skin flakes off, the tan fades. In this video, dermatologist Cybele Fishman, MD, explains the benefits and the warnings of using sunless tanners.
The only way to get a perfect tan -- no strap marks, no red zones, just even, glowing gold -- is with a sunless tanner. Whether it’s professionally sprayed on or DIY at home, they work amazingly well. The active ingredient in most of the do-it-yourselfers is a simple nontoxic sugar called dihydroxyacetone (DHA). Just remember that these surface tans afford no UV protection, so you still need to slather on your favorite sunscreen.

From The Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Less Stress, Gorgeous Skin, and a Whole New You by Amy Wechsler.

Continue Learning about Skin & Makeup/Cosmetics Use

Face the Facts: Risks of Using Cosmetics
Beauty before health—it’s an all-too-common human impulse seen throughout history. The ancient Egyptians used dyes laced with lead, arsenic and other ...
What lipstick shade should I use if I have gray teeth?
If you'd like to make your gray teeth appear whiter, try a bronze or copper shade of lipstick, w...
What kind of makeup can help me look younger?
David PollockDavid Pollock
Avoid heavy makeup. Complement your natural shades and don’t load up on makeup. Use a light foundati...
Are Oxygen Skin Care Products As Effective As Oxygen Facials?