Are cosmetics regulated?

Cosmetics do not need U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for efficacy before they are sold to the public. They must conform to certain regulations -- for example, color additives must be FDA-approved and certain substances deemed harmful must not be used -- but the FDA does not perform or review product safety testing on cosmetics. Cosmetics companies are required to do this on their own. The FDA also does not test how well a product works, nor does it require companies to test the efficacy of their own products.

Because of this, it's possible that claims made by cosmetics companies regarding how safe or effective a product is may be unsubstantiated or untrue.

Continue Learning about Skin & Makeup/Cosmetics Use

Face the Facts: Risks of Using Cosmetics
Beauty before health—it’s an all-too-common human impulse seen throughout history. The ancient Egyptians used dyes laced with lead, arsenic and other ...
How can I avoid germs in my makeup bags?
Anytime you use makeup, be it mascara, lipstick, or a compact, the germs on your hands can contamina...
Why is it important to remove my makeup before I go to sleep?
Rosemarie Ingleton, MDRosemarie Ingleton, MD
You need to remove all your makeup before you go to sleep, so that your skin can breathe and repair ...
Are Oxygen Skin Care Products As Effective As Oxygen Facials?