Why does skin near a cut become sore and swollen?

Skin becomes sore and swollen around a cut as a result of inflammation, which is the body's natural defense against injuries. When your skin is cut or wounded, you are at increased risk for infection from bacteria. Your body responds by sending white blood cells to the site of the wound, which destroy bacteria. This produces the symptoms of inflammation, including redness, swelling, and pain. Although it may not be very pleasant, inflammation is a healthy response to an injury.

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
What is a laceration (cut)?
Laceration is the medical term for a cut -- that is, a tear or opening in the skin. Minor cuts m...
What are scabs made of?
The key players in scabs are cells in the blood called platelets. When your skin is cut or scrap...
What can I do to stop picking my scabs?
Dr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyDDr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyD
People use scab picking as a stress response because it provides a sense of relief that is reinforce...