What type of scarring can I expect with a burn injury?

In general, the deeper the burn, the more the scarring. Your genetic make up can influence the scar outcomes. Scarring can be minimized by proper care of the wound including dressings, massage therapy and compression garments. Lasers are also available to improve the scars. Your burn physician can guide you in the long term care of the burn wounds to have the best outcomes.

There are different types of scars that may occur with a burn. Keloid scars are caused by an overproduction of scar tissue. The pink or tan keloids commonly thicken and grow beyond the burn injury. Keloids commonly are raised with a dome-like top and can be unsightly.

Hypertropic scars usually stay confined to the margin of the wound. Hypertrophic scars are red initially and usually go away either on their own or with the help of steroid injections into the skin. Another type of scar is the contracture or permanent pulling of the skin that involves the tendons and muscles. Sometimes a contracture scar causes nerve damage.

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
How do I manage my skin injury on a daily basis?
Managing your skin injury starts with keeping it clean in order to avoid infection or tetanus. To cl...
How do I get rid of keloids?
Keloids are a form of scar tissue that happen when the skin's oil gets into a wound. In this video, ...
What is first aid for skin injuries?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
First aid for skin injuries is highly dependent on the injury. Bleeding should be initially treated ...