What is a keloid?

A keloid is an overgrowth of skin that forms during scarring. They occur more often in African Americans (for unknown reasons), and the propensity to make them seems to be hereditary. The remedy isn't as simple as cutting the keloid off; that would simply cause new scar tissue to grow back in the same way. Some treatments include cortisone injections, laser treatment, or freezing the area off.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
What is a laceration (cut)?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
A laceration is a cut in the skin, which commonly is caused by a sharp object, such as a knife, scis...
How should I clean my skin if I have a minor cut?
The best way to clean a minor cut is to rinse it immediately with warm water. Don't use hydrogen...
What is a ring avulsion (finger avulsion)?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
In sport, a ring avulsion is commonly known as a finger avulsion, occurring most commonly when a...