What is gangrene?

Gangrene is death and decay of body tissue. It happens when tissues, such as skin and muscle, don't get enough blood. For example, blood may not be able to reach an arm, leg or other part of the body due to an injury or disease. People at risk for gangrene include those who have had an injury or surgery, people with diabetes or blood vessel disease, and people with weak immune systems. Symptoms include loss of feeling in the dying tissue, blue, black or reddish skin, and a foul-smelling discharge. Treatment usually includes removing the dead tissue. Sometimes, amputation is needed. Antibiotics and hyperbaric oxygen therapy may be used to fight infection and raise the amount of oxygen in the blood respectively.

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
What is a skin graft?
Brian Evans, MDBrian Evans, MD
A skin graft is a process in which donor skin is used to cover injured skin. They're typically used ...
What can I do to stop picking my scabs?
Dr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyDDr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyD
People use scab picking as a stress response because it provides a sense of relief that is reinforce...
Should I talk to my doctor about skin injury symptoms?
In the case of minor burns, skin injury symptoms do not need to be treated by a doctor. However, in ...