What increases my risk of skin injuries?

If you are around harmful materials or do not take enough care when around these materials, you could be at risk of a skin injury. In most cases, the best way to reduce your risk of skin injury is taking preventive measures, such as wearing proper clothing and taking extra care when working with hot items. The following are a list of some common skin injury risks:
  • Work Place: If you work around chemicals, you are at risk for skin burns.
  • House Work: Skin burns can be caused by cooking without using safety precautions.Unattended cooking is the main cause of cooking fires.
  • Self-Injury: If you feel the desire to hurt yourself or others, you could be at risk for a skin injury.
  • Tool Use: Use tools properly and keep them maintained. A sharp knife or razor is safer than a dull one, for instance.

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
Should I talk to my doctor about skin injury symptoms?
In the case of minor burns, skin injury symptoms do not need to be treated by a doctor. However, in ...
What is a laceration (cut)?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
A laceration is a cut in the skin, which commonly is caused by a sharp object, such as a knife, scis...
How do I prevent infection in skin injuries?
If you have a skin injury that is not cleaned properly or that is not treated with antibiotic ointme...