What are adhesions?

Jan L. Shifren, MD
Reproductive Endocrinology
Adhesions are bands of tissue that form in response to injury or infection inside the body. Abdominal surgery (including C-sections and hysterectomies) can create adhesions, which can bind internal organs together or to the pelvic wall. Scars from an episiotomy (an incision in the perineum to enlarge the vagina during childbirth) can also create adhesions. Adhesions can lead to painful sex and may interfere with a woman's ability to have an orgasm.

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
What are signs of a skin infection?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
You usually will be able to recognize the early signs of infection. The area around the wound be...
What are the newest biological skin substitutes?
Brian Evans, MDBrian Evans, MD
Engineered tissue from pigs, intestines and even neonatal foreskin is often used in skin grafts, say...
What can I do to stop picking my scabs?
Dr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyDDr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyD
People use scab picking as a stress response because it provides a sense of relief that is reinforce...