Why do I have a thick scar after my burn injury has healed?

The thick keloid scar is caused by an overgrowth of scar tissue and can occur after a burn.The keloid usually extends past the site of burn injury. Although doctors are unsure about the cause of keloids, these scars may be the result of the body producing too much collagen (fibrous tissue) after a burn or injury has healed.

Keloid scars are nodular, dome-like, and ridged and may feel sensitive to the touch months later. Clothing can irritate keloid scars, resulting in increased sensitivity. Your doctor may reduce the size of the keloid by freezing it (cryotherapy), using steroid injections, or by surgically removing the scar tissue. Sometimes laser therapy is used to flatten a keloid. Radiation may also be used to shrink a keloid scar. Because keloid scars can reoccur, your doctor may have you keep pressure on the area to prevent re-growth.
Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Burn scars may be associated with Keloid formation. In general, wound contraction after a third degree burn may lead to overzealous overgrowth of collagen along the wound creating a thickened hard keloid. These scars may settle using compression garments and over time. Do not re-excise a keloid, as the results may be worsened. 

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
How does the body react to a skin injury?
When skin is injured, immune cells rush to the site to remove debris, invading pathogens, and de...
Why is my scab so itchy?
Your scab may feel itchy because of the healing process going on beneath it. The skin below your...
What is first aid for skin injuries?
First aid for skin injuries consists of several steps that you can perform to decrease the risk of i...