When is surgery necessary to treat skin injuries?

Most skin injuries can be treated at home, but a few severe cases require surgery.
  • Frostbite - If frostbite is severe, surgery can be necessary to remove dead skin. In some cases, very severe frostbite can require the amputation of a limb.
  • Burns - Very severe (third-degree) burns can cause eschars, or thick crusty pieces of skin. In some cases, eschars can make breathing or circulation difficult. In this instance, surgery is necessary to remove the eschar to improve vital body functions.

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
How do scratches and cuts heal?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Scratches and cuts heal in general by secondary intention or wound healing. There are several stages...
What are scabs made of?
The key players in scabs are cells in the blood called platelets. When your skin is cut or scrap...
How should I clean my skin if I have a minor cut?
The best way to clean a minor cut is to rinse it immediately with warm water. Don't use hydrogen...