Is it dangerous to pick a scab?

Picking a scab is a bad idea. Think of these hard, reddish patches on the skin as nature's bandage. Scabs form over wounds to protect against germs while your skin heals. Picking a scab can leave a wound unprotected. Let a scab fall off naturally, which will usually occur in about a week or so, when healthy skin has reformed over the wound. 

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
What can I do to stop picking my scabs?
Marla Deibler, PsyDMarla Deibler, PsyD
Habit reversal training (HRT), a form of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), is the most studied, ev...
What is gangrene?
Gangrene is death and decay of body tissue. It happens when tissues, such as skin and muscle, don't ...
How do I get rid of keloids?
Keloids are a form of scar tissue that happen when the skin's oil gets into a wound. In this video, ...