How is tetanus related to skin injuries?

When you suffer from a skin injury, a doctor may advise that you get a tetanus shot. Tetanus is a sometimes fatal disease that is caused by bacteria. It is generally contracted when tetanus spores make their way into an open wound. Because tetanus treatments are not always effective, it is important to get a tetanus shot before or after receiving a skin injury.

Be sure you have cleaned a skin injury properly using water and removing all debris. If a skin injury is difficult to close, make sure you get stitches as soon as possible to avoid tetanus and infection.

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
How do I manage my skin injury on a daily basis?
Managing your skin injury starts with keeping it clean in order to avoid infection or tetanus. To cl...
How do I get rid of keloids?
Keloids are a form of scar tissue that happen when the skin's oil gets into a wound. In this video, ...
What is an avulsion?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
An avulsion is a serious soft-tissue injury. It happens when a portion of the skin, and sometimes ot...