How should I treat a cut on the face?

Direct pressure should be applied to stop the bleeding, and then it should be cleaned and covered. The individual should be referred to a doctor, who will inspect the cuts and determine if the person needs stitches. Facial cuts may also require antibiotics or a tetanus shot to prevent infections.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Georgia College & State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
What are scabs made of?
The key players in scabs are cells in the blood called platelets. When your skin is cut or scrap...
How do scratches and cuts heal?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Scratches and cuts heal in general by secondary intention or wound healing. There are several stages...
How should I clean my skin if I have a minor cut?
The best way to clean a minor cut is to rinse it immediately with warm water. Don't use hydrogen...