How long does it take before scar tissue disappears?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
It may take up to 18 months for the final scar tissue to disappear. As a result, it is important to avoid ultraviolet light for up to a year if possible. The maturation process of scar formation includes re-epithelialization, collagen formation, and wound contraction. My plastic surgical patients are prescribed silicone gel spray to be used twice a day once all sutures are removed. 

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
What are some side effects of skin injuries?
Depending on the type of skin injury, you may have several side effects that result from the breakin...
Why do head wounds bleed more than others?
Amy Balka, MDAmy Balka, MD
Because your head has a higher number of blood vessels than other parts of your body, wounds or cuts...
What can I do to stop picking my scabs?
Dr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyDDr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyD
People use scab picking as a stress response because it provides a sense of relief that is reinforce...