How do I care for a scab?

You can care for your scab by not scratching the affected tissue. Although your scab may itch because of the healing process beneath it, you should not pick it. If you pick away your scab, you could interrupt the healing process and develop a scar.

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
What can I do to stop picking my scabs?
Dr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyDDr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyD
People use scab picking as a stress response because it provides a sense of relief that is reinforce...
What type of scarring can I expect with a burn injury?
Medical City PlanoMedical City Plano
In general, the deeper the burn, the more the scarring. Your genetic make up can influence the scar ...
What are scabs made of?
The key players in scabs are cells in the blood called platelets. When your skin is cut or scrap...