How do I care for my abrasion?

An abrasion is a scrape on your skin that results from your skin being rubbed aggressively against a rough surface. You can care for an abrasion by keeping it clean and covered with a bandage or antibiotic ointment.

While caring for your abrasion, you should check regularly for signs of infection. Signs of infection include redness spreading from the wound site, increasing pain, drainage, warmth, swelling and a bad odor. If you experience any sign of infection, you should contact your doctor.

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
What type of scarring can I expect with a burn injury?
Medical City PlanoMedical City Plano
In general, the deeper the burn, the more the scarring. Your genetic make up can influence the scar ...
What are scabs made of?
The key players in scabs are cells in the blood called platelets. When your skin is cut or scrap...
How do I manage my skin injury on a daily basis?
Managing your skin injury starts with keeping it clean in order to avoid infection or tetanus. To cl...