How do I bandage my skin injury?

When you leave your skin injury open to the air, you may promote healing, but you also leave your wound open to infection, especially if it is in an area that could get dirty or rubbed by clothing. To properly care for your minor skin injury, you must cover it using a bandage. These steps show you how.
  1. Use the correct bandage. Make sure you choose a sterile dressing that will cover the wound. If you find you are allergic to a certain type of adhesive, ask your pharmacist to help you choose a better option.
  2. Change the bandage. Make sure you change your bandage at least once a day. Also, change the bandage if it becomes wet or dirty.
  3. Remove the bandage when the wound has healed. After the risk of infection has passed, expose the wound to the air.

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
Should I clean a scab?
Don't clean a scab. The best thing you can do is to leave a scab alone. If you soak the scab in ...
How do I prevent skin bleeding when I wear a bra with a wire?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
You may require a change of bra types to reduce bleeding from the under wire of the bra. In fact, a ...
When should I get stitches for my skin injury?
Usually, you won't need stitches for your minor skin injury. Most minor scrapes and cuts can be trea...