Can skin injuries be prevented?

The best way to prevent a skin injury is to take extraordinary care when you are performing tasks that leave you at risk for such an injury. If you work in an environment that makes skin injury likely, wear protective clothing. For instance, avoid handling industrial chemicals without gloves. If you do housework, be sure to avoid loose fitting clothing while cooking on the stove to prevent a burn.

In order to prevent another skin injury, frostbite, you should avoid being outside for long periods of time when it is cold, wet, or windy, and if you must be outside during this weather, you should wear several layers of warm clothing. Covering your ears and hands with hats and gloves can also help you prevent the injury.

To prevent infection from a skin injury, take prescribed antibiotics and be sure to visit the doctor.

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
How do scratches and cuts heal?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Scratches and cuts heal in general by secondary intention or wound healing. There are several stages...
How should I clean my skin if I have a minor cut?
The best way to clean a minor cut is to rinse it immediately with warm water. Don't use hydrogen...
What are signs of a skin infection?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
You usually will be able to recognize the early signs of infection. The area around the wound be...