Are skin injuries serious?

In most cases, you can treat skin injuries at home using first aid basics. These types of skin injuries are not generally serious, and they will clear up on their own after a few weeks.

In some cases, however, skin injuries can be serious and even life threatening. For instance, severe burns can be fatal if not treated immediately. In addition, scarring because of severe burns can make physical movement difficult.

Tetanus is another condition that occurs as a result of a skin injury and can be dangerous or fatal. Tetanus is a bacterial infection that occurs when spores enter an open wound; the disease can cause stiffness in muscles and, eventually, death.

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
How do I prevent infection in skin injuries?
If you have a skin injury that is not cleaned properly or that is not treated with antibiotic ointme...
What can I do to stop picking my scabs?
Dr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyDDr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyD
People use scab picking as a stress response because it provides a sense of relief that is reinforce...
How do I manage my skin injury on a daily basis?
Managing your skin injury starts with keeping it clean in order to avoid infection or tetanus. To cl...