Why are people with vitiligo at increased risk of getting psoriasis?

Much is unknown about vitiligo, but there is little scientific evidence to link it with psoriasis. Psoriasis is a skin condition that results in thickened, inflamed skin. The skin may be red with scales of silver that flake off. Vitiligo may be linked with autoimmune diseases such as Addison's disease, systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE or lupus), and thyroid disease. To learn more about your problem with vitiligo, your doctor will perform a physical examination and order lab tests to make a diagnosis and check for other conditions that are possibly linked to vitiligo.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Link Between Atopic Dermatitis and Food Allergies
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD or eczema, is a chronic skin condition characterized by red, irritated and itchy patches of skin. While ther...
What treatments can help for ichthyosis?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Ichthyosis is dry, flaky, scaly skin that can involve large areas of the body's surface. The scales ...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?