Why can topical medications cause increased skin sensitivity?

Some topical medications can increase skin sensitivity. For example, benzoyl peroxide and azelaic acid, often prescribed for treating acne, can cause redness, itching, burning, and stinging. Tretinoins -- prescribed for acne, aging skin changes, or other skin conditions -- could not only cause redness and stinging, but may also increase the skin’s sensitivity to the sun, making painful sunburns more likely. Talk to your doctor if your skin becomes more sensitive when using a topical medication. In some cases, sensitivity can be minimized or avoided by lowering the dose of the medication, switching to another form (from a gel to a cream, for example), or by making small lifestyle changes, such as switching to a gentler cleanser or avoiding exposing skin to the sun.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Why Is My Skin Itchy?
Why Is My Skin Itchy?
In the 1955 Billy Wilder film, The Seven Year Itch, The Girl (Marilyn Monroe) and her neighbor Richard Sherman (Tom Ewell) take a stroll in NYC. As sh...
How can I stop an itch?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
If you have an itch or an insect bite or sting, try some over-the-counter topical hydrocortisone...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?