Why can topical medications cause peeling of the skin?

Certain medications increase the rate of cell turnover in the skin, making it shed faster and possibly leading to peeling. Some acne medications, such as topical retinoids, salicylic acid, and benzoyl peroxide preparations may lead to very mild peeling of the skin, which helps to unclog pores. Tretinoin and other retinoids used to reverse signs of aging can also have a peeling action on the skin. Chemical peels, performed by a doctor, use more potent forms of peeling agents such as glycolic acid and salicylic acid to remove the top and middle layers of skin, which can reduce or remove signs of aging including wrinkles, skin discoloration, and age spots.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Risks and Causes
Hereditary angioedima (HAE) is a rare condition that causes attacks of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Darria Long-Gillespie, Senior Vice Presiden...
What could cause pimples and rash on my bottom and private area?
Evelyn Minaya, MDEvelyn Minaya, MD
Pimples and rashes on the bottom and in the private area can be caused by the same or different thin...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?