Why does the sun make skin tan?

Exposure to the sun triggers a defense mechanism in the skin. The skin releases the pigment melanin in an attempt to darken to ward off the damaging rays. However, this multi-day process often begins with the pain and redness of a sunburn. Some people have less melanin than others and are more likely to burn.

Use a sunscreen and wear protective clothing to safeguard your skin from the sun's harmful rays.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Establishing Routines
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as eczema, is a common skin condition that affects people of all ages. It is most common in young children, thoug...
How are hemangiomas treated?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
The treatment for many superficial hemangiomas is simply a "tincture of time." Many hemangiomas of t...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Aggravates Rosacea?
What Aggravates Rosacea?