Why can a rash with target-like sores be a sign of erythema multiforme?

The skin disorder known as erythema multiforme may cause you to develop circular sores made up of pale red rings that look like targets or bull's eyes. Symptoms may also include itching, fever, aches. No one is sure what causes erythema multiforme, but it appears to be an allergic reaction that damages blood vessels. Erythema multiforme often occurs in response to an infection. However, some people develop this condition after taking certain drugs, including penicillin, barbiturates, and others.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Do I Get the Most Out of a Telehealth Appointment?
In this video, dermatologist Michelle Henry, MD, covers all the things to consider for a successful telehealth appointment.
How is acanthosis nigricans treated?
Susan V. Bershad, MDSusan V. Bershad, MD
Acanthosis nigricans looks like velvety dark skin. It occurs in the skin folds at the base of the ne...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?