Why do my skin pores seem so large?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Pore size is one of the top concerns patients have when they come in for a visit. We know that pores are the openings of the follicles to the surface of the skin. They are supposed to be there. Everyone has them. They are more obvious in some people than in others; however, “my pores are bigger than anyone else I know” is a common complaint. We know that there is a lot going on in those follicles, and we know that there are many influences affecting the contents and size. The problem is that pores are always too big when they are on your face, as opposed to someone else’s, and there does not seem to be anything great available to help you get rid of them.

The first thing that I recommend is to get rid of the magnified mirror if you are using one to study your pores. Even though you will never believe it, no one sees your pores the way you do. I have never had a conversation with someone and heard him or her say this: “Did you see how big their pores were?” It has never happened. We notice a lot of things about other people and about ourselves. “Really big pores” seems like something that most people see only in themselves.

Genetics, sun exposure, and hormones affect pore size. Pores appear larger and more prominent with increased age. Treatments are available that can, at least temporarily, help minimize the appearance of pores. Regular exfoliation, along with the use of a class of topical treatments called retinoids, can help skin cells turnover/regenerate more normally and can control the activity of the sebaceous glands that contribute to the enlarged appearance of the pores.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Why Is My Skin Itchy?
Why Is My Skin Itchy?
In the 1955 Billy Wilder film, The Seven Year Itch, The Girl (Marilyn Monroe) and her neighbor Richard Sherman (Tom Ewell) take a stroll in NYC. As sh...
What is lichenification?
Lichenification is a medical term that means "thickened skin." It can result from frequent scratchin...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?