Why do my skin pores seem so large?

Dr. Doris Day, MD
Dermatology
Pore size is one of the top concerns patients have when they come in for a visit. We know that pores are the openings of the follicles to the surface of the skin. They are supposed to be there. Everyone has them. They are more obvious in some people than in others; however, “my pores are bigger than anyone else I know” is a common complaint. We know that there is a lot going on in those follicles, and we know that there are many influences affecting the contents and size. The problem is that pores are always too big when they are on your face, as opposed to someone else’s, and there does not seem to be anything great available to help you get rid of them.

The first thing that I recommend is to get rid of the magnified mirror if you are using one to study your pores. Even though you will never believe it, no one sees your pores the way you do. I have never had a conversation with someone and heard him or her say this: “Did you see how big their pores were?” It has never happened. We notice a lot of things about other people and about ourselves. “Really big pores” seems like something that most people see only in themselves.

Genetics, sun exposure, and hormones affect pore size. Pores appear larger and more prominent with increased age. Treatments are available that can, at least temporarily, help minimize the appearance of pores. Regular exfoliation, along with the use of a class of topical treatments called retinoids, can help skin cells turnover/regenerate more normally and can control the activity of the sebaceous glands that contribute to the enlarged appearance of the pores.
100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions & Answers About Acne

100 Questions and Answers About Acne provides you with all the information you need to manage your complexion problems. Written by Dr. Doris J. Day, a world-class expert in the field, this clearly...

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Establishing Routines
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as eczema, is a common skin condition that affects people of all ages. It is most common in young children, thoug...
How can I avoid getting cutaneous porphyria if it runs in my family?
There are no lifestyle changes or medications that can prevent you from getting cutaneous porphy...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?