Why are people with vitiligo at increased risk of getting thyroid disease?

While not a lot is known about vitiligo, there may be a possible linkage with thyroid disease. It's thought that vitiligo has a genetic component, meaning that it runs in families. There's also an connection between vitiligo and autoimmune diseases such as thyroid disease, systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE, an inflammatory disease that affects the skin, organs, and joints), and Addison's disease (a rare disorder that causes adrenal insufficiency). Some findings show that after treatment for certain types of hyperthyroidism, people may get vitiligo or depigmented patches of skin.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Prevention
Hereditary angioedema (HAE) is a rare genetic condition characterized by episodes of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Mehmet Oz discusses the tellt...
If I have a mole that changes, do I have melanoma?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
If you have a mole that changes you don't necessarily have melanoma, but it can be a sign of melanom...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?