Why are people with vitiligo at increased risk of getting thyroid disease?

While not a lot is known about vitiligo, there may be a possible linkage with thyroid disease. It's thought that vitiligo has a genetic component, meaning that it runs in families. There's also an connection between vitiligo and autoimmune diseases such as thyroid disease, systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE, an inflammatory disease that affects the skin, organs, and joints), and Addison's disease (a rare disorder that causes adrenal insufficiency). Some findings show that after treatment for certain types of hyperthyroidism, people may get vitiligo or depigmented patches of skin.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Treatment Options for Difficult-to-Treat Chronic Hives
Urticaria is the clinical term for hives—red, raised, itchy welts that form on the surface of the skin. Hives are classified as either acute or chroni...
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?
How Is Rosacea Related to Digestive Health?
What Causes Age Spots?
What Causes Age Spots?