Why is it important to know my family history of skin conditions?

Knowing your family history of skin conditions is an important step toward safeguarding your health. Many skin conditions are influenced by family history. For example, if you have a close blood relative (such as a parent, brother, or sister) who has or has had skin cancer, you might face an increased risk of developing this disease. Close family members often grow up in the same environment and share habits. These factors also can affect your risk of skin problems.

Being aware of your family history of skin conditions gives you the opportunity to talk to your doctor about steps you can take to protect yourself, such as making lifestyle changes and scheduling regular exams.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Differences Between Inducible and Spontaneous Chronic Hives
Hives—also known as wheals, or by their clinical name, urticaria—are red, raised, swollen welts that appear on the surface of the skin. Up to one half...
What Causes Hives?
What Causes Hives?
Hives are red, itchy, slightly raised or swollen welts that appear on the surface of the skin. They are also known as wheals, and by their clinical na...
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?
What Causes Age Spots?
What Causes Age Spots?