Why do my breast itch?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery

Allergies or irritation of the skin from chemical, detergents can set off the immune system to respond with itching. This may lead to redness, and a rash. The etiology of the itchiness to the skin should be delineated. Infection may be associated with breast infection caused mastitis. Breastfeeding women may also present with itching, a sign of a Staph aureus infection. The infection may be diagnosed with cultures and treated with oral antibiotics and pain alleviators. A simple rash may be treated with warm soaks, moisturizers, and hydrocortisone (steroid cream). Finally, breast cancer may present with itchiness. Inflammatory breast cancer develops quickly as a painful, swollen, and itchy breast. 

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

3 Treatment Options for Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Treatment for cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma (cSCC) is a little different for each person. Learn about your treatment options.  
What causes painful cracks in my heels?
Wear and tear can cause painful cracks in your heals because your feet get a lot of use. It is impor...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Can I Reduce the Appearance of Cellulite?