When is an itchy rash on the hands and feet a symptom of a skin disorder?

An itchy rash that occurs on both the palms of the hands and the soles of the feet may be caused by hand, foot, and mouth disease, a common, temporary skin condition caused by the coxsackievirus that causes small itchy blisters on the hands and feet. It is often accompanied by a sore throat and fever. Other skin conditions that affect the skin of the hands and feet include dyshidrosis, psoriasis, eczema, fungal diseases, and allergic and irritant dermatitis. Chapped fissures on feet caused by sweaty sock dermatitis can also spread to the hands.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Why Is My Skin Itchy?
Why Is My Skin Itchy?
In the 1955 Billy Wilder film, The Seven Year Itch, The Girl (Marilyn Monroe) and her neighbor Richard Sherman (Tom Ewell) take a stroll in NYC. As sh...
Is anything wrong if my eyes are dry and itchy?
If your eyes are dry and itchy, you may have ocular rosacea. Skin rosacea is another clue that ocula...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Causes Age Spots?
What Causes Age Spots?