When are light-colored patches of skin a sign of tinea versicolor?

Light-colored patches of skin may be a sign of tinea versicolor if you have a certain type of fungal infection. You may not know it, but fungi naturally exist on your skin. Under some circumstances, the fungus overgrows and produces blotches of discolored, scaly skin. The patches might itch, too. You may be more likely to develop tinea versicolor if you have oily skin, perspire a lot, or live in a hot, humid climate. Undergoing certain medical therapies can trigger tinea versicolor, too. A doctor can prescribe antifungal medication to treat tinea versicolor, either oral (a pill) or topical (a lotion or shampoo).

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Why Is My Skin Itchy?
Why Is My Skin Itchy?
In the 1955 Billy Wilder film, The Seven Year Itch, The Girl (Marilyn Monroe) and her neighbor Richard Sherman (Tom Ewell) take a stroll in NYC. As sh...
What causes painful cracks in my heels?
Wear and tear can cause painful cracks in your heals because your feet get a lot of use. It is impor...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?