When should I go back to the doctor about my pityriasis rosea?

You may want to consult with your doctor if you develop itching as a side effect of pityriasis rosea. No one is sure what causes this condition, which produces a distinctive skin rash. Some people who have pityriasis rosea develop itching, which can be severe. Your doctor may be able to prescribe treatments that relieve itching associated with pityriasis rosea.

There are a few situations that require a return visit to your doctor.

1. If your rash worsens; this can mean becoming brighter, spreading more, etc.
  2. If the rash looks infected, starts oozing, heats up, or causes you to feel bad or have a fever
  3. If the rash changes colors
  4. If it’s been three months and the rash still hasn’t gone away.
And the sooner you sound the alarm, the better if you are concerned.
Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
If your pityriasis rosea rash doesn't go away over time, or if your symptoms worsen, you should go back to your physician.

Once a person has been diagnosed with pityriasis rosea, the usual course is to take care of the itching and wait for it to go away. Occasionally, the symptoms will persist or change in an unusual way. If the rash hasn't gone away in 12 weeks or so, you should have it checked by a doctor. Also, if the rash area is very large and flaky, you'll want to go back to the doctor.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Why Is My Skin Itchy?
Why Is My Skin Itchy?
In the 1955 Billy Wilder film, The Seven Year Itch, The Girl (Marilyn Monroe) and her neighbor Richard Sherman (Tom Ewell) take a stroll in NYC. As sh...
How can I treat stretch marks myself?
Daniel KappDaniel Kapp
Stretch marks can be treated by topical products such as a retinoid or alpha hydroxy acids.  However...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
What Causes Bumps on Fingers?
What Causes Bumps on Fingers?