When does vitiligo run in families?

Vitiligo can run in families because there is a strong genetic component to this skin disorder. The discovery of three faulty genes sets the stage for inheritability, but it does not mean it is set in stone. If a parent has the disorder, their children are more likely to get it too, but only 5% to 7% percent of children with an affected parent actually get it. A third of people with vitiligo say another family member also has the disease.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Risks and Causes
Hereditary angioedima (HAE) is a rare condition that causes attacks of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Darria Long-Gillespie, Senior Vice Presiden...
What causes stretch marks on breasts?
Breast stretch marks can certainly spoil a woman's décolletage. In this video, Dr. Oz explains w...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Causes Cellulite?
What Causes Cellulite?