When should I call my doctor if I have ringworm of the scalp or beard?

You should call your doctor if you think you have ringworm on your scalp or beard. Unlike other types of ringworm, these conditions usually need to be treated with prescription antifungal medication for a few weeks -- possibly up to 3 months. If not treated, these conditions can lead to more serious infections.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Risks and Causes
Hereditary angioedima (HAE) is a rare condition that causes attacks of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Darria Long-Gillespie, Senior Vice Presiden...
What happens during my first skin exam?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
In the examining room, you will be asked to take all your clothes off and put on a gown that is open...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?