When should I call the doctor about my child’s abscess or boil?

Call your child’s doctor if your child has any of these:

• The infection is not better in 2 days or gets worse, such as:
  • Increased pain, warmth or swelling to the area
  • Increased redness or streaking (a red line or streak coming out of the sore area)
  • It suddenly gets worse after a period of getting better.
  • Fever lasts more than 2 days after starting antibiotics or if your child has chills.
  • The gauze or drain comes out before it is supposed to
  • Your child is unable to take the prescribed medication.

Also call your child’s doctor if you have any questions or concerns about how your child looks or feels.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Establishing Routines
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as eczema, is a common skin condition that affects people of all ages. It is most common in young children, thoug...
How likely am I to get stretch marks while pregnant?
Although things like weight, hormones and a family history of stretch marks can all contribute to yo...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
What Aggravates Rosacea?
What Aggravates Rosacea?