What is Z-plasty treatment?

Daniel Kapp
Daniel Kapp on behalf of MDLIVE
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery

A Z-plasty treatment is one method for hiding an unsightly scar.  It works by lengthening the scar and rearranging the tissue in a zigzag direction which may make play an optical illusion and make the scar less noticeable to a casual observer.

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
A Z-plasty is simply a form of flap reconstruction in which the two flaps of the Z are rotated 90 degrees and allow the scar to be transferred in a new direction which may minimize its appearance. Z-plasties have been shown to lengthen  the scar and rearranging the tissue in a transformational flap form. The flaps of the Z-plasty can vary. For example, 30 degrees to 90 degrees which can increase the length of the scar in a perpendicular direction.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Why Is My Skin Itchy?
Why Is My Skin Itchy?
In the 1955 Billy Wilder film, The Seven Year Itch, The Girl (Marilyn Monroe) and her neighbor Richard Sherman (Tom Ewell) take a stroll in NYC. As sh...
What do dermatologists do?
Dr. Ellen Marmur, MDDr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology is a medical and surgical field specializing in the treatment of skin, hair, and nails a...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?